Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Houndstooth Quilt: Finished!

Just in time for Father's day, I finished this Houndstooth quilt for Jake's dad!

Dad Katz' Houndstooth Quilt

I usually wash and dry the quilts after I photograph them, but I had such little time to finish this quilt that it had to be washed the evening before I could photograph it.  So... unfortunately you can see the crinkle texture of the quilt, but not a whole lot else... Any suggestions on how to photograph a crinkly quilt?

Dad Katz' Houndstooth Quilt

Right after taking these photos, it went right into a box to be wrapped.  

Dad Katz' Houndstooth Quilt

For the front of the quilt I used Kona Iron and Kona Pacific.

Dad Katz' Houndstooth Quilt

On the back I used a bit more Kona Iron and also some Lizzy House Constellations.

Dad Katz' Houndstooth Quilt

I had a hard time with this quilt.  The pattern didn't suggest at all that any of the blocks might need to be squared up, so I didn't think about it.  Since sewing this one together, the baby sized quilts for my friend's newborn twins have gone much smoother.  I like the finished product, but it's not my favorite quilt to actually sew together.

Dad Katz' Houndstooth Quilt

I am happy to check this one off of the to-do list, though!

Currently Listening to: Where Are You Now by Wolf Gang

7 comments:

  1. I photograph my quilts after I've washed them and it usually works better if I take the pictures in the shade or in the evening when the sun isn't so bright. I love your quilt--and thanks for the warning about piecing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great quilt for a guy. It is so hard to get something to be more manly I find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, very nice. I love this. I think the crinkly look just adds to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome! Love the two Kona's together. (Iron is on my "i wish i could buy a bolt of it" list)
    I'm with Angela on taking pics, always out of direct sunlight, i find even dappled sunlight makes things look way more crinkly than they really are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt looks fabulous. As for photographing, lighting is key. So different angles produce different results. I hope that helps. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I'm using Kona Pacific for one of my backs - I really like that color!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a little note! Please know that even if I don't respond, I do read each comment and they make my day! If you have any questions or specific concerns, feel free to email me and I'd love to chat you up! Have a great day!