Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Personal Apple Pies

One of my absolute favorite things about this time of year is apple pie.  I love, love, love apple pie and it is SO fun to have my very own apple pie... That is why I really like to make them in these:

4 oz Apple Pie

Yes, those are 4 oz. mason jars!  Making a pie in one of these jars is super easy, super fun, and you can choose whether you want to bake them right away or freeze them for another day!  You could make any pie in one of these jars.  I'm planning on making a blueberry pomegranate pie before the holidays.  So, here's the recipe so you can make super cute pies too!

First, gather your ingredients:

  • 8 - 4 oz canning jars
  • 2 refrigerated pie crusts, or frozen crusts thawed
  • 1-2 apples - just judge based on how big the apples are.
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • dash of nutmeg
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 Tbsp. butter, cut into eight small pieces
Before I cut my apples, I like to mix together the rest of the apple pie base.  So I mix together the lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour.

4 oz Apple Pie

*if you don't have a "dash" measuring spoon, I'm sure it'll be fine if you estimate :]

4 oz Apple Pie

After all those ingredients are mixed  together, I peel and cut the apples, adding in the apple pieces as they're cut.  When they mix with the lemon juice they won't turn brown!

4 oz Apple Pie

I like to do this part first because the longer the apples sit, the more apple pie filling there will be... Yum!

Then, take the pie crusts and mush them together and roll them out.  Once they're rolled out, take one of the canning lids and push it into the dough to make 8 circles.  These will be the tops of our pies.

4 oz Apple Pie

In order to fill the jars with crust, take the remaining dough and push it into the jar and piece several pieces together in order to make sure the bottom and sides are covered.  It's weird at first, but not hard.  You'll get it!

4 oz Apple Pie

Once all the jars are filled with crust, add in your yummy apples!

4 oz Apple Pie

Just an FYI, these jars are a bit over filled... tee hee... :]

4 oz Apple Pie

Once the jars are filled, you will need to either use a cut out or cut slits into the tops.  I love using this little heart cut out :]

Before you put the tops on, don't forget to add a bit of butter to the top of each pie!

4 oz Apple Pie

Now cover the pies with the tops and use a fork to crimp the sides.

4 oz Apple Pie

Then bake them on a shallow dish at 375 for 35 minutes or freeze them!  When you're baking a frozen pie, place the pie on a shallow dish and put it into a cold oven .  Set the oven to 375 and bake for 45 minutes.

4 oz Apple Pie

See, I told you mine were a bit over filled... oh well! They are still tasty! :]

These are super delicious little pies and I hope you make some to brighten the holidays for someone! Or yourself!

Have a great time baking!

xoxMegan

Currently Listening to: Naked Kids by Grouplove

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a little note! Please know that even if I don't respond, I do read each comment and they make my day! If you have any questions or specific concerns, feel free to email me and I'd love to chat you up! Have a great day!