Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

All About 2015

First, I know this is a week late, but when do we really stop celebrating the New Year, anyway?

Second, I am SO EXCITED for this year!! Last year was a really difficult year and life just started turning a bright corner as the year was coming to a close, so I just know this year is going to be fantastic!!

Third, I want to share my goals for this year, but I want to preface the list by saying that I purposefully did not set any lofty goals this year.  In November I listened to the audiobook version of Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown and while I don't agree with everything he said, some of it did hit home for me.  One of those things was to do less, better and another was to say no more than you say yes.  He said it this way, and I'm paraphrasing, "if it's not an overwhelmingly clear yes to you, it should probably be a no".  Now, I enjoy serving and I love making things for people I know, but I am now working on doing only those things that are absolutely essential or that I really, truly want to do.  So, that's where I'm at!  I'm not in competition to accomplish the most or to work late nights when I don't have to.  I want my goals to be attainable and enjoyable.

So, with that said, here is my goal list for this year!
  • Make a quilt for Berlin (I feel so guilty that I haven't done this already!)
  • Complete the Story Time Sampler
  • Read the books that go along with the Sampler
  • Make two quilts for my family reunion auction
  • Finish all unfinished quilts (I have four)
  • Learn how to use Illustrator
  • Document the year with Project Life
  • Keep designing stamps and grow the shop
It's not a super long list, but I think it's doable and each item on my list has value to me.  

I also want to share my One Little Word for this year.  I haven't done this previously, and I'm not really interested in being affiliated with the organization, but I love the idea of having one word to focus on for an entire year.

The word I chose is WIN.  This word is also influenced by Greg McKeown's book.  Greg told a story about a football coach that has a very successful high school football team.  When the coach is asked how they're so successful, the coach says, "We win".  While the coach has the stats to back up his statement, he is using the word 'win' as an acronym for "what's important now".  He has taught his players to continually evaluate the game and do whatever is important RIGHT now.  

I definitely want to win this year.  I want to be better than I was last year.  I want to accomplish more of what I really want.  But I also really want to focus on what's important now.  I tried reminding myself of the concept during the last few weeks of last year and it really helped me prioritize my day in each moment.  Do I really need to do the dishes right now, or can I spend some time with Berlin? The dishes got done, but I also actually spent more time playing with B instead of just trying to get things checked off of my to-do list.  Does the list govern me or is the list assisting me in my day?  

Food for thought.  I recommend McKeown's book.  There are some great values and principles in it, even if you don't agree with everything.

Currently Listening to:  Alienation by Morning Parade

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a little note! Please know that even if I don't respond, I do read each comment and they make my day! If you have any questions or specific concerns, feel free to email me and I'd love to chat you up! Have a great day!