I searched online and found this tutorial found on the Sew Mama Sew blog. I used the tutorial more as a basic guideline for constructing the bag, so mine is not exactly like the tutorial.
One change I made is in the way that the patchwork panel is constructed. I didn't want to make it out of two pieces and then sew it together because I didn't want the strong line across the bag. So, I made one big piece and then quilted it. Also, the handles are shorter. Which I am so glad for because they are still plenty long.
Instead of making two patchwork panels, I used just one fat quarter for the back. This is Parisville by Tula Pink and I've had this fabric for forever. It's been hard for me to use it because the print is so large. But I knew this would be perfect for the back of this bag!
I used this herringbone print from Madrona Road for the lining.
I also added a pocket! It's nothing fancy, but it'll hold my keys or something else that's small. This little pocket was left over from the Neighborhood Quilt I made with Modern Domestic. I auditioned a lot of fabrics, but this one seemed just perfect to me!
So, this is a happy finish for Friday! I think I'll take it to the library today for a test drive!
Currently Listening to: Warrior by Kimbra